According to IMO estimates, ships carry between three to five billion tons of ballast water globally each year. Ballast water is taken on board by ships for stability, but contains thousands of aquatic or marine microbes, plants and animals. Untreated ballast water released at the ship’s destination can destroy the local ecosystem.
In this course you will cover:
- the impact ballast water exchange has on the environment
- rules, regulations, standards governing Ballast Water Management
- effective Ballast Water Management planning and record keeping
- roles and responsibilities of the crew
- ballast water treatment systems.
Marlins recommends approximately 1 hour for completion of the course and assessment.